Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Darkness

Darkness. Despair. Fear. Cold. Atmosphere of absolute evil. Therewithin I am, alone and alone. I pace up and down the dark streets where I find nothing but sad people anticipating some fearful approach of evil, and straight cold darkness. We can feel it in our very beings, eating at the core of our souls, tearing us down and reducing us to worthless creatures, breathing but not living. Chain link fences follow the inner city road, lined with black covering, and the apartment buildings are void of light. No cars are to be seen or heard. No motion. Everything is dead, quiet, still, silent. I find slight comfort in a holy gathering inside a structure nearby, but even this does not live long. A strange old couple, whose presence feels as that of demons, come and join our meeting, staging a front to disguise themselves of their nature. I knew it though. Oh, how I felt it. That deep dark damned evil oozing out of their pores, their eyes. I had to leave. I had to find her. She is my only light in this place. Where is she. Here I am pacing the street again, wandering aimlessly, in hopes that if I could just get close enough, I might feel the light emanating from her soul. Up and down, up and down, down and up the God-forsaken roads I wander, when I catch it. A glimpse of purity, of calm, of comfort. It is hidden, under the arm of this man. He is merely trying to care for her, to keep her warm, to act as a shield against the darkness, but without delay or hesitation, I snatch her away from his care, and into my own. I hold her close, and closer still. She is now mine, and I will keep her here so very close to me. I won't let go. The darkness may be swallowing the world whole all around us, but it cannot touch this.

No comments: