Friday, August 13, 2010

Fire Teeth

The end of the world? Might Earth turn into a raging fireball at any second? Scientists are saying that this will simply pass. It is the closest our world has ever come to the sun, orbiting strangely like this every hundreds or thousands of years. Mankind, us, I, wake up one morning to the most powerful, bright spectacle our generation of humans will ever see. The sun. We are thousands of miles closer, and the great ball of fire familiar to our sky has increased its apparent size by hundreds of times, filling a large portion of the sky, much more orange in color, with frizzling edges, perfectly round in nature. It shines with great magnitude, proving its eminence over the creatures of the earth. Some are afraid, and some claim to be trusting, trusting in the words of the authorities and the experts, that all will be well and that earth will return to its usual orbit in a short time. I don't believe them. I think it's probably just something they are saying to keep the poor humans calm and hopeful, although imminent doom is upon us all. I keep this notion to myself. We are on the move, driving down the freeway in a few small cars, each packed full of people. There is great hustle and bustle in the car I am riding in, arguments and loud conversations flying through the air, sucking up all the oxygen. It feels claustrophobic, but we are out and in the open air in no time. Walking down the street, I feel something strange in my mouth. My tooth is loose. My tooth is out! Detached from its home in the gums of my mouth. More teeth are quickly becoming loose, and one by one a few more teeth come right out of their sockets. And next thing I know, half my teeth are swishing around in my mouth! I spit them out and show the person with me. We are both shocked. What could this mean? What is happening here? Does this have anything at all to do with the sun and our unusual orbit as of late? There is found no explanation, no reason is discovered. The answers remain hidden. We are lost. Lost beings on a doomed planet. Teethless.

No comments: