Friday, April 23, 2010

10,000'

We're here! We are finally here! We are at Disneyworld, atop the peak of a very high, cold mountain. We park in the lot on the other side of the street, requiring us to use the hand zip-rail mechanism to cross high above the road to the other side. It's her and I, but not the her it should be. It is another. What am I doing here with her? Why have I come alone to such a place with the wrong girl? My emotions are scrambled, and my thoughts more so. We have a wonderful day and are now leaving when she turns to me and says, "How could you ask both of us to be yours? What is wrong with you?" I don't remember doing this, and how could I have? That's not an easy mistake to make. Anger and confusion and frustration set in and flood the atmosphere with such intensity. What have I done. There she is, confused and frustrated, with the most pitiful look on her face. The initial she is gone, fled perhaps, out of our sight, and the right remains, with me, ready to embark on a crazy journey down the mountain. This place is somewhere in the middle of a steep, soaring mountain range, somewhere far removed and desolate, besides the famed theme park at its highest heights. Mountains everywhere you look, the most jagged edges, nothing is smooth, all is rock with patches of snow here and there. We drive down the mountain, at speeds way too high, cutting the dangerous corners so very close to the edge. The road is a single lane for both directions, unpaved and right on the edge, thousands of feet to the base, no guardrails. Yet I drive on, at high speed, as if I have no control or ability to slow or stop, sliding left and right and inching further over the cliff with every turn, barely dodging oncoming traffic. Down and down we go, as dangerously as possible, until it happens. Our fearful imagination comes true, we are over the edge. We jump out of the vehicle as it happens, and before flying over into the darkness, we catch the edge of the cliff, with the slightest grip. Fear. Intense, life-threatening fear. If I lose this shallow grip, I am gone. She is just a few feet up, struggling as well. I scream to her, we can get out of this, we can make it through if we work together, we must pull through. Much struggle endures for 10 minutes, but what felt like a small eternity, before I finally get a chance to push her up to safety. But I feel weaker and on the brink now more than ever. She comes to my rescue without wasting any time, and I am pulled up to be with her again. Safe. Sound. Still. Alive. Two faceless others arrive on the scene. They check our status, and seeing that we are well, come up with the most unlikely idea. Jump. Let's jump. Oh the thrill. We agree. And before we really understand what we're doing, the bliss of adventure takes us all, four in total, over the edge in unison. We occasionally bounce upon the jagged cliff. I hold her hand, her face, her body. Love and thrill overtakes us and perfect joy is produced as we sing, smiling, falling, loving, all the way to the bottom. Ten thousand feet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! The best part is when the four jumped off the cliff. =)